Technical Writer / Documentation Specialist
We’re looking for a technical writer/documentation specialist for a contract position. $45-$60/hr, depending on qualifications.
At White Deer Group we help companies create, manage, and distribute their business knowledge. If you check out our culture and values and think you’re a good fit we’d be honored to hear from you.
Tell me more about your dream candidate
Our ideal candidate for this opportunity will be someone with extensive experience in a variety of technical writing disciplines. If you’ve written policy, training material, lesson plans, or technical documentation, you could be a good fit. If you’ve done that in a franchise or chain retail organization, you could be a really good fit.
An amazing fit would be someone with experience in MadCap Flare, but skills from tools like RoboHelp are transferable. AEM, Tridion, and SiteCore also transfer.
The ideal candidate will already be familiar with managing documentation in regulated industries or be familiar with localization and documents done at scale. We work with document libraries, so writing is only one part. Full document lifecycle is a plus.
This person will be able to work independently and fulfill the objectives of the contract for our client, but will also be a good member of our Content Design Team. They will be detail-oriented and capable of overseeing high-quality work, and at the same time, focused on meeting delivery dates for our clients.
What you’ll be doing
Assist with developing, maintaining, and supporting high-quality documentation such as technical and user manuals, online help, marketing collateral, and training materials.
We make order out of chaos. You’ll take stock of their material, sort it out, devise a good way of putting it back together, and implement processes so that it stays that way. We make their information beautiful and useful.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working experience in technical writing and documentation. This could be instructional design, operational support, or training materials. Sometimes you’ll interview experts, sometimes you’ll observe and document, and sometimes you’ll polish what they already have.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation while paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Analytical ability applied to client-provided content to determine suitability, content improvements, and overall structure.
- Must have excellent written/verbal communication, listening, organizational, interpersonal, research, investigative, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise manner, and willingness to pursue emerging technologies as needed for the organization.
- Strong working knowledge of content management software (preferably MadCap Flare) and Microsoft Office.
- Basic familiarity with process design.
- Understanding of agile development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Writing, English, Journalism, Communications, or related field.
- Write and edit interface and procedural documentation including user guides, articles, training materials, manuals, and other technical documentation for a wide range of uses.
- Write, rewrite, and/or edit documentation, communication, and reference materials for a variety of projects and purposes.
- Work with subject matter experts and team members to ensure that written product communicates information in a clear, appropriate, and applicable manner.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
- May be involved in maintaining production schedules, budgets and coordinating department activities.
- Assist with client satisfaction issues.
- Familiar with CSS
- Familiar with HTML
- Experience with (any) Content Management Systems
White Deer, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.